This blog can now also be viewed at http://www.parentingwhatipreach.wordpress.com/.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bedtime With Daddy


It's 8:15. The kids have their jammies on. Teeth are brushed.

Two happy kids skip up to me. "Good night, Mom."

I get a kiss and a hug from each.

The kids turn away and begin their climb up the stairs calling behind them, "Come on, Dad!"

This is my husband's cue. He gets up and begins his own climb up the stairs to meet my son and daughter who by now are snuggled up in our bed with their Harry Potter book. Within moments I hear the gentle male voice reading, picking up where they left Harry last night.

It's 8:30. As I sit on the couch nursing the baby, I hear the familiar groans and the routine, "No, don't stop there, Dad!" Followed by the sound of my husband saying, "We'll find out more tomorrow. Time for bed."

Three pairs of feet are heard landing on the floor and hurrying down the hallway to the room the kids share. I hear my daughter climbing the ladder to the top bunk and my son's giggles as he hides under his big comforter.

And then it's suddenly quiet. I don't hear the sounds, but I know what is happening. Daddy is praying with each of them. First they pray, and then he does. A sacred moment.

It's 8:35. The finale of the bedtime routine is approaching.

"Good night, guys." Dad turns off the light and begins walking out of the room.

Two voices in unison sing out, "Good night, Dad! I love you!"

"I love you, too. Now go to sleep."

It's exactly the same every night, this special time with Dad. A bonding time between the kids and my husband.

Twenty minutes every night. Bedtime with Daddy. Memories, bonding and love that will last a lifetime.

No comments: