This blog can now also be viewed at http://www.parentingwhatipreach.wordpress.com/.

Monday, April 6, 2009

Talking to Kids About Easter


I love holidays. My kids do, too. I think it's because it gives us something exciting to anticipate. They provide a break from the everyday routine of life. And holidays give us an extra reason to connect with each other in different ways...dreaming about the magic of leprechauns, staying up late to watch fireworks while eating Popsicles in the park, and going for Easter egg hunts. There is so much of a focus on the "fun" of holidays, that it's easy for kids to think that having fun is all they are about. But as a parent, I want my kids to understand WHY we're celebrating a given holiday without taking away the fun.

Easter is a perfect example of trying to strike this balance with my kids. I let my kids believe in the Easter Bunny. We dye Easter eggs. They get Easter baskets (while containing some candy, they usually contain a new spring outfit, a new CD or video, and a small toy to avoid the sugar rush I know they'll get when they visit Grandma later that day). We make a big deal out of the egg hunt. We give gifts of flowers because it's spring. I do these things with my kids because they are traditional, and cultural, and a part of Easter that I'm not going to pretend doesn't exist with my kids. Not only are these traditions, in my opinion, important to pass on to my children, but they are a big part of what make the celebration of Easter FUN. Besides, I don't want my kids to grow up resenting me for robbing them of these experiences and as a result resent the spiritual importance of the holiday as well.

All that being said, I try to be very intentional with the language and conversations I have with my kids regarding the Easter holiday. Leading up to Easter, we talk about the events that took place long ago in a variety of ways. This year, as one example, I had received a sticker activity that had the kids place various stickers on a village scene for every event that took place leading up to, and ending with, the empty tomb as I read the story. It was all in very kid-friendly language and the kids totally got into it. Stories with stickers are aways a hit in my house!

Around the time they start asking about dying eggs, I use the opportunity to ask them if they remember what eggs have to do with Easter. Then we have a brief discussion about some of the reasons eggs are a symbol of the holiday(an example of new life and an illustration, albeit incomplete one, of the trinity). I've talked to them about Lent and what the purpose of that time is, and have been very open about how I have chosen to participate in the Lent season and why. Yesterday, I reminded them excitedly that it was Palm Sunday and we discussed what the palm leaves and shouts of HOSANNA were all about, not leaving this just to their Sunday school teacher to explain. I should also point out that none of these discussions are boring lectures that my kids have to endure. They are brief. They come up casually in conversation. And I often ask them more questions to see what THEY know rather than provide all the answers.

This week, I look forward to discussing Passover and the Last Supper when we have a Maundy Thursday gathering this week. And on Friday, I'll make sure to discuss the importance of the day with my kids before sending them to school. Saturday, as we dye eggs, we will discuss what it's like to have to wait for something special and reflect on what it must have been like for all of Jesus' friends to think he was dead, not knowing that he was going to come back to life the next day. And on Easter Sunday, I will make sure that my kids know the tradition of greeting someone with "He is Risen" and expecting a "He is Risen Indeed" in return (my daughter in particular always gets a kick out of that one).

By being intentional about the SPIRITUAL meaning behind Easter for us, then it's really easy to add in the rest under the context of celebrating a very important day. The food, the flowers, the egg hunt, the gifts, are all a part of the party. It's a party that even the Easter bunny is a part of. Because, after all, the Easter Bunny is so excited about celebrating Jesus' resurrection that he wants everyone to have fun celebrating by playing a fun game of "Find the Easter Egg", a game intended to bring us all together. And isn't being united one of the purposes of the cross? Plus, doesn't every good party involve a fun game?

Instead of being fearful that my kids will miss the point of Easter if I allow the Easter Bunny and candy to creep in, I embrace these and use them as part of the bigger meaning of the day. As a result, my kids can tell you what Easter is really all about AND they think of Easter as one of their favorite holidays.

How do you celebrate Easter with your kids? What ideas do you have for striking a good balance between the fun activities and the spiritual significance of the day? Leave a comment below.

No comments: